Know your Doctor
Dr. Rishika Chauhan
Cataract & LASIK Surgeon
Dr Rishika Chauhan was born in a family of doctors. Since childhood she had seen her Grandfather organising free eye cataract surgery camps to help the less affording and less fortunate. She used to accompany her grandfather while he was organising these camps as well as during the camps.
She saw how patients with No or very poor vision would often come in - supported by a family member - unable to walk even to the washroom as they could not see. And how after surgery they could walk unaided with a smile on their faces - being able to see their loved ones faces. Her father- A doctor too - taught her - The more you help people and give to the society the more God will smile upon you.
Somewhere all this registered, along with the desire to give people vision - to see the beautiful world around us. Since a child Dr Rishika knew she wanted to become a doctor and give people the most important sense - the SENSE of SIGHT- VISION.
Dr Rishika Chauhan completed her MBBS from a AJIMS (2003) – after which she pursued her Post Graduation in Ophthalmology - from 2009 from MS Ramaiah Medical College -one of the best medical colleges of Bangalore. She also underwent training in LVPE Eye Institute, Hyderabad – one of India’s topmost Eye Hospital with leading eye care solutions.Following this she did her fellowship in Phaco and Refractive Surgery (LASIK/ SMILE/ ICL) - 2012 to 2013 in Nethradhama Super Speciality Eye Hospital under the expert guidance of world-renowned Phaco and LASIK surgeon -Dr Sri Ganesh.
During and post her fellowship Dr Rishika Chauhan taught and trained several young surgeons to hone their skills in cataract surgery.
She authored and published several international papers on LASIK and SMILE surgery in renowned journals of ophthalmology – Journal of refractive surgery and international Journal of ophthalmology. She is one of the reviewers of articles sent for publication in international Journal of ophthalmology. Dr Rishika Chauhan went on to work as a Consultant in Vasan eye care Hosur 2014 to 2016 where she performed over 3000 PHACO surgeries.
Dr Rishika Chauhan has also been associated with multiple charitable institutions – Narayan Seva mandal, Ghatkopar East; Lions Club Ghatkopar and PramukhSwami Eye Hospital Chunabhatti. She has done several outreach programmes and arranged thousands of free eye checkup camps and cataract surgeries.
Dr Rishika has been heading the Eye department at Sharan Hospital since the last five years and has performed 3000+ Phaco surgeries and 500 refractive surgeries (LASIK and ICL).
National Paper Presentations:
1. Paper presentation in AIOS 2014, Agra, titled : “Our experience with RELEX SMILE in 550 eyes” feb 6th, 2014.
2. Oral paper presentation : Presented free paper on “ A Study of prognostic factors and role of steroids in Traumatic Optic Neuropathy” at 30th annual conference of Karnataka ophthalmic society (KOS).
3.Video presentation in 10- best award winning video category at annual conference of Karnataka ophthalmic society (KOS), Nov, 2013 titled “ Secondary piggyback IOL following Refractive lensectomy and RK.”
4. Poster presentation in KOS “Curious case of first branchial arch syndrome with central core myopathy presenting with bilateral congenital ptosis”.
5. Co authored “Prospective Study of Ocular Trauma in Road Traffic Accidents between april 2009 to march 2011”, presented at World Ophthalmic Conference, Abu Dabhi, Feb 2012.
SCIENTIFIC PAPERS SENT FOR PUBLICATION:
1) “A comparative study of patients undergoing RELEX SMILE with one eye interface-wash and the contralateral eye without interface wash” to Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology.
2) “Accelerated versus Conventional Corneal Collagen Cross-linking in the treatment of progressive Keratoconus: A comparative study” to American Journal of Ophthalmology.
REVIEWER FOR : “ INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OPHTHALMOLOGY”.
Member of ESCRS (EUROPEAN SOCIETY OF CATARACT & REFRACTIVE SURGEONS).
Certificate of completion of “Cataract Surgery in developing countries” course by AAO (American Academy of Ophthalmolgy).
INTERNATIONAL INDEXED PAPER PUBLICATIONS : Published in Journal Of Refractive Surgery
Comparison of Visual and Refractive Outcomes following Femtosecond Laser assisted LASIK wid SMILE in patients with myopia or myopic astigmatism.
Published in Journal Of Refractive Surgery
International Paper Publication
Visual and Refractive Outcomes with ReLEx SMILE in 600 eyes
National Indexed Publication
Published in JIMA (Jounrnal of Indian Medical Association)